I’m celebrating Jungle January in a pair of Margot Pajama pants in pink and black leopard.
Jungle January was the creation of Pretty Grievances, a highly entertaining sewist who maintains a blog featuring her loud creations and commentary on designer garments. Her Wearable Wednesday posts are hysterical. If you don’t follow her already, do yourself a favor and check her out. Although it doesn’t appear she’s hosting Jungle January this year, I decided to go with tradition and make myself a Jungle-inspired make this month.
Enter the leopard print Margot Pajama pants!
This pattern is found in Tilly and the Button’s book, Love at First Stitch. You can purchase it through Tilly’s website for $20 (UK) or on the U.S. Amazon site through 3rd party sellers for about $24 (US).
The Margots are my favorite pajama pant pattern. I’ve made three versions so far and will certainly make more as I refresh my sleep and lounge wardrobe this year.
I bought the leopard fleece fabric last winter at my local Joann Fabric. This particular fabric isn’t listed online and I don’t see anything similar, but I did see some animal print fleeces in the store earlier this week. I don’t remember how much I paid, but it probably wasn’t more than $5/yrd on sale (I rarely buy anything there without a coupon). Joann has their fleece fabric on sale this week, so now is a good time to get supplies for snugly pj pants!
The pattern gives directions for making a tie out of the same fabric you use for the pj pants. For this pair, I decided to go with a black grosgrain ribbon instead of a fabric tie. I love the look of the back bow with this fabric! The grosgrain ribbon was purchased at Joann Fabric for a few bucks (I don’t remember the exact price…).
I made the size 3 which matches my waist measurements and shortened them a little bit (I think by an inch or so…). Other than adjusting the length, I sewed the pant as drafted.
For this pair, I goofed and cut the legs too short. This presented a problem when I prepared to sew the hem. I didn’t have enough fabric to turn and sew a proper hem at the bottom of each leg. Doing so would have resulted in a pair of ankle-skimming pants! I found a way around this problem by using hem tape. I sewed the hem tape to the bottom of the pant with a teeny-tiny seam allowance. I then turned the tape to the inside of the pant and sewed down the top of the tape to secure the hem. The hem tape allowed me to sew a hem without loosing any length in the pant legs.
The Margot Pajama pants are a great fit on me, not too snug and not too sloppy. With a drawstring waist and lots of ease, pajama pants are one of the few garments were fit is super easy to get right. After my disappointing sew with Sunny, I needed a fit win!
The Margot Pajama pants are a great first sewing project. Tilly is know for her clear instructions and these pants are no exception. As long as you can sew a straight line, you can sew these up!
Sweet dreams, sewists!